q With the COVID-19 coronavirus outbreak, is the event still taking place?
For health reasons due to the current coronavirus pandemic, the fifth edition of the Petzl RopeTrip®, originally scheduled to take place from September 28 to October 2, 2020, is officially cancelled.
Every two years, the Petzl RopeTrip brings together the worldwide rope access community for a work-at-height competition and a technical symposium. In a warm, fun, and truly collegial atmosphere, participants share techniques and expertise working in the vertical world.
q Who can attend in the Petzl RopeTrip®?
The Petzl RopeTrip® is open to anyone who wants to attend.
q Who can participate in the Petzl RopeTrip® Challenge?
The Challenge is only open to professional rope access teams who selected through Petzl RopeTrip® Series qualifying events or our application process.
q For teams applying to participate, what are the selection criteria?
After reviewing the applications, an official Petzl jury will select the teams to participate.
In order to promote the international aspect of the competition, the jury will give preference to teams from countries that do not organize a national Petzl RopeTrip® Series.
q Can I register for the Petzl RopeTrip® challenge as an individual and then find or join an existing team?
No, only existing three-person teams can register.
q Can I sign up for the Petzl RopeTrip® on location?
Team registration by application for the challenge can only be done by sending in an application by email to firstname.lastname@example.org before December 8, 2019.
You can register for the symposium when you arrive on location as long as there is still space available.
q Can I pay when I arrive?
Teams registered for the challenge have to pay online beforehand.
q If I am not participating in the symposium or a competitor can I still attend the Petzl RopeTrip® 2020?
Certain events during the challenge will be open for the general public to watch. The symposium, meals, and evening party are reserved for attendees.
q Is the evening party to close out the event open to the general public?
No, only competitors and registered participants can attend.
q How can you contact us before the event?
By email at the following address: email@example.com
q How can I find out if I need a visa?
We recommend that you check the Singapore Ministry of Foreign Affairs website to determine if you need a visitor’s visa to attend in the 2020 Petzl RopeTrip® in Singapore.
q What are my travel options for the Petzl RopeTrip®?
All details about travel and getting there are available on the practical information page.
q What lodging and accommodations are available?
All participants have the option of staying at the Orchid Country Club, near the event venue. We have negotiated reduced rates for the event, limited to the number of rooms available. For more details, please refer to the practical information page.
q What is the Petzl RopeTrip® challenge?
The challenge is a competition for three-person professional rope access teams. Each team member competes in individual events as well as a team event in order to qualify for the finals.
q What equipment is mandatory?
Every competitor must have the following equipment:
- 1 fall arrest harness (EN 361, ANSI Z359.1 or .11, CSA Z259.12, EN 361 or the equivalent, or 1 seat harness (EN 813) + a standardized chest harness),
- 1 self-braking descender (EN 341, ANSI Z359.4, CSA Z259.2.3, EN 12841 C or the equivalent) with a compatible auto-locking carabiner (EN 362, ANSI Z359.1, CSA Z259.12),
- 2 or 3 rope clamps (EN 567, NFPA 1983 or the equivalent): a chest rope clamp and hand rope clamp, or two hand rope clamps, or a chest rope clamp and two hand rope clamps,
- 1 mobile fall arrest device (EN 353-2, ANSI Z359.1 or .15, CSA Z259.2.1, EN 12841 A or the equivalent) with an accompanying lanyard and compatible connector,
- 1 double or triple lanyard with compatible auto-locking carabiners (adjustable lanyards will be accepted),
- 1 helmet designed and certified for rope access work,
- 1 pair of safety boots and clothing suited for rope access work.
q How many teams will be selected to participate in the competition?
Forty (40) teams have been selected. More than half were selected through Petzl RopeTrip® Series qualifiers in several countries. The remaining spots available were attributed by Petzl to teams selected through the application process.
q Do I have to participate in the qualifying events held in my home country?
Yes, if a country organizes a Petzl RopeTrip® Series qualifying, then selections for the Petzl RopeTrip® will be determined during these events. It is still possible to submit an online application, but teams from countries that do not organize Petzl RopeTrip® Series events will be given preference.
q What is the minimum age to participate?
Anyone 18 years of age or older can participate in the 2020 Petzl RopeTrip®.
q Are both men and women participating in the competition?
q What diplomas or certification are required to participate in the challenge?
You need to have rope access technician certification, or certification that allows you to perform rope access work at height, or any other equivalent certification.
q What information or documentation is required to register?
Every competitor must provide proof that they are certified and meet the competency criteria. These documents include:
- A copy of any official identification with photo (national identification card, passport, etc.).
- A copy of your rope access technician certification, or certification that allows you to perform rope access work at height, or any other equivalent certification.
- The Petzl RopeTrip® release form filled out and signed.
- A copy of a medical certificate or waiver less than three months old that confirms you have the physical ability to perform rope access work, or written proof provided by the participant that guarantees you are capable of performing rope access work.
q Do I need to provide a medical aptitude certificate or waiver?
Yes (see above).
q Can I just attend the symposium?
Yes, by registering as an attendee.
q If I am a competitor and I want to attend the symposium, do I need to register and pay an additional fee?
No, the symposium is included with your team registration.