q Who can participate in the Petzl RopeTrip®?
The Petzl RopeTrip® is open to all.
q Who can participate in the Petzl RopeTrip® challenge competition?
The competition is open to professional rope access teams.
q May I sign up individually for the Petzl RopeTrip® and then find a team?
No. Only three-member teams may register.
q Will there be on-site registration for the Petzl RopeTrip®?
No. Teams and participants must register on this website before May 11, 2018.
q May I pay on-site?
No. Payment must be made online.
q What’s included with the registration fee?
For all those who register, the fee includes symposium presentations and workshops, all noontime and evening meals from Thursday to Saturday, and the Petzl final evening party (after the challenge competition) on Saturday June 9, 2018.
The Petzl RopeTrip® challenge competition and Climb Up race are reserved for competitors.
q May I watch the event without being a participant or competitor?
The venue will be open to the public during the event, but certain parts of the event will not be open to all. To see the entire event, you must register as a participant.
q Will the final evening party be open to the public?
No. Only the competitors and registered participants may take part.
q How do I contact the organizers before the event?
Via the following email address: firstname.lastname@example.org.
q How do I know if I need a visa?
We recommend visiting the following website to determine whether you need a visitor visa for the Petzl RopeTrip®.
q How do I get to the Petzl RopeTrip®?
You can get to the 2018 venue by plane (to Düsseldorf), train (to Duisburg) or by car. The Landschaftspark is accessible by public transit. All travel details are available in the General Information section.
q What accommodations are available on-site?
There are numerous hotels located near the Petzl RopeTrip® venue; a detailed list is available in the General Information section.
q Are meals included in the registration fee?
Yes. All noontime and evening meals, from Thursday to Saturday, are included for competitors and participants.
q What does the Petzl RopeTrip® challenge competition consist of?
The competition is a three-member team event. To reach the finals (team event), teams have to make it through qualifying events (each team member has to compete in three mandatory individual events and one team event), then the semi-finals (team event).
q What equipment is required?
Each competitor must present the following equipment:
- 1 fall arrest harness (EN 361, ANSI Z359.1 or Z359.11, CSA Z259.12, EN 361 or equivalent, or 1 seat harness (EN 813) + certified chestharness)
- 1 self-braking descender (EN 341, ANSI Z359.4, CSA Z259.2.3, EN 12841 C or equivalent) with a compatible locking carabiner (EN 362, ANSI Z359.1, CSA Z259.12)
- 2 or 3 rope clamps (EN 567, NFPA 1983 or equivalent): either one ventral and one handled rope clamp, or two handled rope clamps, or one ventral and two handled rope clamps
- 1 mobile fall arrester (EN 353-2, ANSI Z359.1 or Z359.15, CSA Z259.2.1, EN 12841 A, or equivalent) with its lanyard and a suitable connector
- 1 double or triple lanyard with its auto-locking carabiners (adjustable lanyard accepted)
- 1 helmet suitable for rope access work
- 1 pair of safety shoes and clothing adapted for rope access work.
q How many teams will be accepted?
30 teams through open registration + 10 selected by Petzl.
q Should I participate in qualifying trials in my country?
No, it’s not mandatory, but some countries do organize them (Petzl RopeTrip® Series). Find out more from your Petzl distributor.
q What is the minimum age for participation?
The 2018 Petzl RopeTrip® is open to all adults.
q Is the competition open to both men and women?
q What diplomas or certificates are needed to participate in the challenge competition?
A rope access worker certificate or rope work license, or equivalent, is mandatory.
q What documentation do I need to provide to complete my registration?
Each competitor must provide proof that s/he fulfils access and aptitude conditions. The following must be provided:
- a photocopy of one piece of photo identification (national ID card, passport, etc.)
- a photocopy of the rope access worker certificate or rope work license, or equivalent, and the Petzl RopeTrip® liability waiver, filed out and signed
- a photocopy of a medical certificate, dated less than three months, attesting to their capacity to carry out rope work, or an affivit provided by the participant certifying that s/he is able to perform rope work.
q Do I need to provide a medical certifiate?
Yes (see above).
q By what time does my team need to arrive to participate in the June 7 challenge competition?
Teams must be present by 9:00 AM on June 7th.
q Will there be any prizes for the winners?
Yes, the prizes will be awarded after the finals, during the evening of Saturday June 9, 2018.
q May I just attend the symposium?
Yes, by registering as a participant.
q If I'm a competitor and want to attend the symposium, do I need to register and pay extra?
No, the symposium is included in your registration fee.